Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's always something...

This is what my husband and I like to say to each other, at least once a week, if not once every couple of days. Today was no exception. The day was decent at first. Had a bit of a late start, but that's not unusual for me. Those who know me best know that mornings aren't my strong suit. Did a little traveling for work today, up the road to Oxford and Louisburg. I get back to the office about 2:30 and get to work writing up some files.

Then daycare calls.

Most of you parents know the daycare call. Before you pick up the phone, you get a little pit in your stomach, wondering what the person on the other end is going to tell you about your child. It could be minor, like a case of the sniffles. Or it could be major, like your little guy has just thrown up everywhere. Again, those who know me best know that I don't do vomit. But I digress.

This time, they inform me that little guy has fallen down and bitten his tongue, bled a little bit, but that stopped. And, oh, by the way, his left front tooth is a little loose now.

Great. A 20 month old with a loose tooth? I didn't expect this for another 4 to 5 years.

Our little guy doesn't have his sea legs all the time just yet. Especially after just waking up from a nap, like he had this afternoon. Apparently, one of little guy's teachers thought he was nice and steady after getting him up. She turns away, he takes a step and falls down. No one knows exactly what he hit his mouth and chin on, because they didn't see him fall. Now, I understand that accidents do happen, especially when dealing with little guys and gals. Lord knows, I've had a few myself with him, but we're not talking about me here. I was just most upset at the fact that my little guy fell down, got hurt, and now has a loose tooth. It's not his fault he was still sleepy, and left to fend for himself in the great big world they call the Toddler Room.

Needless to say, I was not happy about any part of the situation. After hanging up with daycare, I called my husband and expressed my frustrations to him in the form of tears and senseless ramblings. Being the good husband he is, he offered to call our dentist to see what we should do, or could do, about little guy's slightly loose tooth. Thankfully, our dentist said that it should tighten up on its own, which was a relief.

So he's ok, a little grumpy when I picked him up today, but wouldn't you be? Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for all of us.


Our little guy, pre-loose tooth. Note the scab above his left eye, thanks to another daycare accident. Not as bad, but that's another story.